Mudbutton's Barn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UW Control

3 posters

Go down

UW Control Empty UW Control

Post  MooMooChicken Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:40 pm

// Lands
4 [WWK] Tectonic Edge
4 [R] Island (2)
1 [ZEN] Scalding Tarn
1 [ZEN] Arid Mesa
4 [WWK] Celestial Colonnade
4 [SOM] Seachrome Coast
4 [M11] Glacial Fortress
4 [AT] Plains (2)

// Creatures
4 [M11] Squadron Hawk
4 [WWK] Stoneforge Mystic

// Spells
4 [ZEN] Spell Pierce
2 [SOM] Stoic Rebuttal
4 [M11] Preordain
4 [WWK] Jace, the Mind Sculptor
3 [ROE] Gideon Jura
4 [ZEN] Day of Judgment
1 [ROE] Deprive
2 [9E] Mana Leak
1 [MBS] Sword of Feast and Famine
1 [SOM] Sylvok Lifestaff

// Sideboard
SB: 3 [SOM] Ratchet Bomb
SB: 1 [M10] Baneslayer Angel
SB: 1 [SOM] Elspeth Tirel
SB: 2 [MI] Divine Offering
SB: 4 [ROE] Oust
SB: 3 [CS] Flashfreeze
SB: 1 [SOM] Sword of Body and Mind

I like it. The only thing that I want in the main is Journey to Nowhere, but there isn't any room to do anything with the deck. I'm not entirely confidant with the sideboard it just seems very awkward.
MooMooChicken
MooMooChicken

Back to top Go down

UW Control Empty Re: UW Control

Post  cavanaghlegato Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:24 pm

I know most UW players like to play 1 Cancel / 1 Rebuttal so it appears that they play more counter magic in their deck. You can easily do the 1-1 split here, unless you think your board at some point would be Sword, Staff, Ratchet Bomb... in which case I'm sure you've won anyway. Smile

Your board is only random it doesn't have a plan. I see 8 cards against Valakut, at least 7 for KRed, etc. So long as you know your board plan, you should be ok.
cavanaghlegato
cavanaghlegato
Admin

https://mudbutton.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cavanaghlegato Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:25 pm

Also, do you own 4 copies of Jace, TMS or just 3? I only ask because I know Joey is borrowing 4x Jace, TMS from Dave for the event.
cavanaghlegato
cavanaghlegato
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MooMooChicken Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:23 pm

I have 3.... if Joey is borrowing, I'm not playing UW.
MooMooChicken
MooMooChicken

Back to top Go down

Post  cavanaghlegato Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:39 pm

I don't know if he will be using all 4, you'll have to ask him. I'm sure you could make do with 3 and main an Elspeth.
cavanaghlegato
cavanaghlegato
Admin

Back to top Go down

UW Control Empty UW Control

Post  Falkor Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:59 pm

This deck just looks sick.

It is really well-built, and definitely the best deck for the Pro Tour.

Is it the best deck for DC?

What is the best way to crack this juggernaut?

Gideon Jura owns aggro, and Stoneforge Mystic/Swords do a fair number on Valakut, so I am not sure how to tackle this bad boy.

Perhaps a GW deck with Vengevine and resilience to sweepers, but Gideon just owns decks like that.

They did mention in coverage that Boros isn't a particularly good matchup, so maybe that deck is back to being a possible option in Standard.

Falkor

Back to top Go down

Post  cavanaghlegato Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:13 pm

I think everyone understates what their deck can do on coverage.

UW has a fine matchup against Boros with the addition of Stoneforge / Staff / Hawk combo as blockers to make sure you get to a turn 4 Day. If they aren't within burn distance by then, Boros is in a trouble. That being said, Hero of Oxid Ridge helps against a Hawk army / post-day attacks. Hero helps the matchup, but Boros took out burn to do more things with equipment, etc. That being said, only 3-4 Lightining Bolt to "finish off" a matchup.

I'd put it at 55-45 UW.

To further prove my point, Reitzl said Grixis Tezz was an "awful" matchup for him. Not really? Sac lands play around the Pyroclasm and Tezz has NOTHING to end games early with. The fact that Chapin gained... 24 (I think, maybe 18) from his Wurmcoil Engine and STILL lost the game was just sad.
cavanaghlegato
cavanaghlegato
Admin

Back to top Go down

UW Control Empty I agree

Post  Falkor Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:19 pm

I agree about the Boros matchup, but I just wanted to mention what they discussed in coverage.

I'm not sure if Boros can actually compete without a Hero draw in the matchup, since Lifestaff will gain a bunch of life. I was actually curious about putting Jinxed Idol in the sideboard, but unfortunately that just means they equip Lifestaff, then sac the creature, and you get the Idol back on your upkeep, not good.

Reitzl got rolled pretty good by UW, and I have no idea what actually beats that UW monstrosity.

Squad Hawk flies, grabs equipment, and wins games, especially the pro-black sword. Stoneforge Mystic comes down before counters, and grabs win conditions. Day of Judgment cleans out the Lotus Cobras/Overgrown Battlements that Valakut were trying to play to win the game, and stalls with 4x Spell Pierce/Mana Leak into Flashfreeze post-board.

What deck is UW not favored against at the moment? GW Quest? Kibler did rip the 2of Divine Offering to take out the turn 2 Argentum Armor, but still lost the match. Overall, Oust and Divine Offering are a serious dent in the aggro/equip plan.

Falkor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down