Mudbutton's Barn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boros Deck Discussion

3 posters

Go down

Boros Deck Discussion Empty Boros Deck Discussion

Post  cavanaghlegato Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:11 am

I think I may lean to Boros for Washington D.C. if SCG doesn't get back to me. I'm just putting a list I put together down on paper to see what we have (What Tom Has)

24 Creatures
4x Goblin Guide
4x Steppe Lynx
4x Squadron Hawk
3x Plated Geopede
3x Stoneforge Mystic
3x Mirran Crusader
3x Hero of Oxid Ridge

10 Spells
2x Lightning Bolt
3x Journey to Nowhere
2x Adventuring Gear
1x Sword of Body and Mind
1x Sword of Feast and Famine
1x Bonehoard

26 Land
4x Arid Mesa
4x Marsh Flats
4x Scalding Tarn
5x Mountain
5x Plains
2x Terramorphic Expanse
2x Teetering Peaks

Sideboard
1x Journey to Nowhere
3x Forked Bolt
2x Mark of Mutiny
4x Divine Offering
1x Sylok Lifestaff
1x Basilisk Collar
3x Cunning Sparkmage

cavanaghlegato
cavanaghlegato
Admin

https://mudbutton.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Boros Deck Discussion Empty Re: Boros Deck Discussion

Post  MooMooChicken Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:31 pm

I have 2 Hero and 1 Crusader plus 99% of the rest

I like the creature base in your build. That seems very solid. However I disagree with your spells. Lightning Bolt is one of those cards that needs to be 4 or none. Maybe cut a gear, sword, journey or a land? Maybe just cut Adventuring Gear all together because how often are you going to tutor for the gear when you are playing both swords? If you are able to cut both gears you should be able to drop a land which will give you 3 open spots. Then you can add 2 more Lightning Bolts and add in 1 more of either Stoneforge Mystic, Plated Geopede and Mirran Crusader.

Thats my opinion.
MooMooChicken
MooMooChicken

Back to top Go down

Boros Deck Discussion Empty Equipment in Boros

Post  Falkor Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:08 pm

I also feel like 5 equipment is one equipment too many, and I agree that the card to drop might be the 2nd Gear. I just don't think the Gear matters as much.

In coverage, they were talking about whether or not the Cunning Sparkmage/Basilisk Collar tech was "good enough" in the sideboard any longer. I'm not sure.

I also think that Kor Firewalker is a must in the board. It will win the mirror, along with Mirran Crusader, since your opponent just runs out of removal for Pro-Red creatures, and you swing in with equipped Pro-Red creatures for the win.

I am not sure if 26 lands is too many, and I have a feeling that many people will go after Boros as the main aggro deck in Standard after the Pro Tour, so it might be in for a rough time in DC.

If the format shifts back to Boros, then perhaps Valakut will perform better.

On a positive note, I think Koth is only good in the UW/UB matchup, and that as a 2of, which might help our wallets. I actually think the creature plan is flat-out better in that matchup, but you have to worry about running out of creatures. That is where Koth shines, since it makes free creatures AND it's finishing move wins the game.

I actually like Arc Trail main deck right now, especially with all of the Stoneforge Mystics and Squadron Hawks running around in main decks.

Falkor

Back to top Go down

Post  cavanaghlegato Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:18 pm

Boros vs Valakut isn't as stacked in Valakut's favor as you might think. Sword of Body & Mind hurts, Feast & Famine hurts, and Journey for your Titan is a pain. Not to mention the Mark of Mutiny's in game 2 and game 3.

Marc and I talked on Friday and did in fact go -1 Gear, +1 Bolt.

I find the 3x Cunning Sparkmage are good in matchups where 3x Mirran Crusader is not, which is why it's there.
cavanaghlegato
cavanaghlegato
Admin

Back to top Go down

Boros Deck Discussion Empty Valakut

Post  Falkor Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:24 pm

I think that if players slide back to Boros, then Valakut will perform better as the metagame shifts.

I do think that Valakut has to play some form of sweeper in the main deck, but I worry a ton about Mirran Crusader.

I think the extra sword gives Boros a lot more redundancy against Valakut, which is definitely nice, and Hero of Oxid Ridge means that Overgrown Battlement is useless as a blocker.

Arc Trail main deck?
Do you think that Arc Trail is a solid call in the main deck over some number of Lightning Bolt?
Say -1 Land, -1 Lightning Bolt, +2 Arc Trail?

I wouldn't want to give up all of the Lightning Bolts due to Mystic + equip.

Falkor

Back to top Go down

Post  cavanaghlegato Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:50 am

Option 2 - If Tom Plays Valakut

4x Steppe Lynx
4x Goblin Guide
4x Squadron Hawk
4x Stoneforge Mystic
3x Plated Geopede
3x Hero of Oxid Ridge
2x Koth of the Hammer
4x Lightning Bolt
3x Burst Lightning
1x Adventuring Gear
1x Sword of Feast and Famine
1x Sword of Body and Mind
4x Arid Mesa
4x Marsh Flats
4x Scalding Tarn
5x Mountain
5x Plains
2x Terramorphic Expanse
2x Teetering Peaks

What Cards Do I NOT Want To See In Each Matchup?

Against Mirror: 4x Goblin Guide, 2x Koth of the Hammer, 1x Sword of Feast and Famine
Against Vampires: 4x Goblin Guide, 2x Koth of the Hammer, 1x Sword of Body and Mind
Against Valakut: 2x Koth of the Hammer, 4x Squadron Hawk, 3x Burst Lightning
Against UW Control: 3x Plated Geopede
Against UB Control: 3x Plated Geopede, 3x Burst Lightning
Against KRed: 4x Goblin Guide, 2x Koth of the Hammer, 1x Sword of Feast and Famine, 1x Sword of Body and Mind

I want to see Arc Trail in the mirror, vampires, and KRed matchups. The amount of x/2 Vampires requires Arc Trail over Forked Bolt.

Since I'm losing Goblin Guides, I want some other creature that can be effective in the mirror and Vampire matchups. The Double Strike ability of Mirran Cruasder (and pro black in Vampires, works)

4x Arc Trail
3x Mirran Crusader

Matchups Left: Valakut, UW Control, UB Control, KRed)

For my Valakut matchup, Journey to Nowhere is good Titan removal and Mark of Mutiny will outright win the matchup. I need 9 cards, 3 of which can be Journey to Nowhere and 3 can be Mark of Mutiny. That leaves 3 more, and once again the double striking Mirran Crusader works fine.

4x Arc Trail
3x Mirran Crusader
3x Journey to Nowhere
3x Mark of Mutiny

Against UB Control, 3x Mirran Crusader is once again an easy switch in. Journey to Nowhere also helps against Nighthawk and Grave Titan. No need to add extra cards for this matchup.

Matchups Left: UW Control, KRed

2 spots remaining. Oxid Ridge and Koth both help in the UW matchup. I need to board 8 cards for the KRed matchup, 4 of which I know are Arc Trail. I value the UW sideboard plan more then the KRed one, to I'm willing to go 4 Arc Trail, 3 Mirran Crusader, and 1 Journey to Nowhere for the KRed matchup.

Final Sideboard
4x Arc Trail
3x Mirran Crusader
3x Journey to Nowhere
3x Mark of Mutiny
1x Hero of Oxid Ridge
1x Koth of the Hammer

*Too Tired, Going To Bed*
cavanaghlegato
cavanaghlegato
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MooMooChicken Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:45 pm

I know this is a bad card and idea, but in conversation a friend of mine is testing Crusher Zendikon in Boros and playset of Teetering Peaks to press damage. He likes it and I obviously don't. I just wanted to give a random card suggestion for testing.

Crusher Zendikon+Teetering Peaks is pretty sexy on paper.
MooMooChicken
MooMooChicken

Back to top Go down

Post  cavanaghlegato Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:01 am

I don't like it either. The Lifestaff giving +1 Attack is now relevant and the new age of Boros functions more as the control deck in the control matchup anyway. It's main goal is no longer to press damage.
cavanaghlegato
cavanaghlegato
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  MooMooChicken Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:48 am

cavanaghlegato wrote:I don't like it either. The Lifestaff giving +1 Attack is now relevant and the new age of Boros functions more as the control deck in the control matchup anyway. It's main goal is no longer to press damage.

You should play your own Gideon Jura Wink

I'd still go turn 1 Goblin Guide all day without Steppe Lynx against Control. You gotta keep pressure on them.
MooMooChicken
MooMooChicken

Back to top Go down

Post  cavanaghlegato Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:58 am

If I had 2 Goblin Guide's I would. However, you're going to lose that game every time. You need the post Day of Judgment Goblin Guide + Sword + Sword + Swing for 5. It's the only thing that allows you to beat them when they Day followed up by Gideon because you get the wolf. If my opponent were to open with a CC in DC on turn 1 and I had only a turn 1 Goblin Guide, I would not play it.

Joey and Dave, the two players I have played UW against, can put in their input if they want.
cavanaghlegato
cavanaghlegato
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down