Mudbutton's Barn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kuldotha Red

2 posters

Go down

Kuldotha Red Empty Kuldotha Red

Post  Falkor Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:25 pm

The new aggro metagame deck courtesy of GerryT, close list by Nick Spagnolo on TCGPlayer.com, but Gerry posted his list on Facebook before the tournament.

4 Goblin Guide
4 Goblin Bushwhacker
4 Goblin Wardriver
4 Memnite
4 Ornithopter
4 Signal Pest
2 Devastating Summons
3 Chimeric Mass
2 Flayer Husk
3 Mox Opal
4 Kuldotha Rebirth
2 Lightning Bolt
4 Contested War Zone
16 Mountain

Sideboard
1 Phyrexian Revoker
4 Arc Trail
3 Tuk-Tuk, the Explorer
4 Jinxed Idol
2 Devastating Summons
1 Dread Statuary

I am positive this is NOT his exact list since I saw him play Forked Bolts on the coverage on ggslive.

Personally, the sideboard is a mess, and more needs to be put in place against Control, specifically all of the Ratchet Bombs that are about to make life miserable for this deck. Manic Vandal is too slow, there is no Smash to Smithereens in the format, you do have Crush, but that doesn't stop the beats. Perhaps multiple Phyrexian Revokers are the right decision, but it doesn't help unless you can drop an early Mox Opal.

I think Gerry has the right number of Chimeric Mass, the wrong number of Devastating Summons (+1), and Lightning Bolt is completely wrong for the main deck. I love Jinxed Idol, I hate Dread Statuary, I love Tuk-Tuk (and I forgot to buy them from CoolStuff -- grr...card is about to jump in price since it is a great sideboard card in this deck). I also never saw Flayer Husk actually played in GerryT's deck, but perhaps something more aggressive like Spikeshot Elder or Cunning Sparkmage would be quality here either in the main deck or sideboard.

The deck currently has no outs against Tuk-Tuk's token. None. Perhaps Panic Spellbomb belongs somewhere in here over Flayer Husk.

I bought the whole deck minus Tuk-Tuks and Mox Opals, so I just need to pick those up to play this in February. The deck is going to have to change as the metagame shifts...

It's fun for the gauntlet.

Falkor

Back to top Go down

Kuldotha Red Empty Re: Kuldotha Red

Post  Joey Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:43 pm

I like this deck right now, but we'll have to wait to see how control adapts to it.
In every format shift, there is a pattern:
1. Aggro decks are easiest to build and play. Thus, the first tournament have aggro everywhere, especially mono red aggro decks.
2. Everyone jumps on the monored/aggro bandwagon, while other people are still tweaking their control lists.
3. A couple of weeks or a month later, control decks adapt to the threat, the metagame stabilizes, and things change back to the way they were.

We may see the adaptations sooner than usual with Paris coming, but my best guess is that around the time DC comes, control will be back to being a major competitor in the field. It just takes longer, and we should be careful about assuming that KRed will be the dominant force it was at times last weekend.

However, I do think that KRed will likely take Boros' place as the premier speed deck of the format, KRed seems more consistent and less dependent on topdecking land to win.

And I love the Forked Bolt metagame call. Brilliant.

And I'm not even being sarcastic.
Joey
Joey

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum