Mudbutton's Barn
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Standard (1,5,10)

2 posters

Go down

Standard (1,5,10) Empty Standard (1,5,10)

Post  cavanaghlegato Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:15 pm

1 - I don't think this will ever see play in current standard (Gnathosaur, Ogre Resister)
5 - I can see this seeing current standard play (Mortarpod, Slagstorm)
10 - This will 100% see play in current standard (Sword of Feast and Famine, Green Sun Zenith)

The reason I phrase it that way is because no one know's what's playable / unplayable once Jace rotates.

1 - Red & Black Chancellor, Urabrask, "Species Transplantation", "Psychological Surgery", Screamwhip, Spawning Shell, Invasion Parasite, Scrapmetal Fiend, Puresteel Paladin, Norn's Annex, Spellsplitter, "BB", Karn,

5 - Praetor's Grip, Phyrexian Canceller, Caged Sun, Phyrexian Unlife, Fresh Meat, Hex Parasite

10 -

Hex Parasite - Here is your 1 cost anti-Jace. It may be too mana expensive to be truly anti-planeswalker.
cavanaghlegato
cavanaghlegato
Admin

https://mudbutton.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Standard (1,5,10) Empty Re: Standard (1,5,10)

Post  Falkor Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Using Kevin's Standards, here is my interpretation of the new set:

Karn -- I hesitate to say any planeswalker won't see Standard play, but Karn is very limited.
Elesh Norn -- This is a bit too much, but that is a powerful effect on the board with a Fauna Shaman in the format (for a little while).
Phyrexian Unlife
All Chancellors
Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur -- Flash makes it interesting, but 10 mana is a problem.
Phyrexian Ingester
Xenograft
Praetor's Grasp
Surgical Extraction -- love Shearer's article about this
Bludgeon Brawl
Invader Parasite
Melira -- this makes it into a sideboard if Poison becomes a real deck.
Phyrexian Swarmlord
Vorinclex -- just too costly, and you have Eldrazi for Summoning Trap.dec.
Jor Kadeen -- that is a powerful effect on a 5cc creature, but I am not sure if it will find a deck.
Etched Monstrosity -- that is one unplayable mythic
Omen Machine
Soul Conduit
Unwinding Clock

Blade Splicer -- Two creatures for 3 mana, including a 3/3 first strike.
Dispatch -- it's a possible Path to Exile, and if Tempered Steel becomes a deck, then this card is in it.
Norn's Annex
Porcelain Legionnaire -- it's a 2cc 3/1 first strike with Phyrexian mana, plus it is an artifact creature.
Puresteel Paladin
Blighted Agent -- it's an unblockable infect creature
Deceiver Exarch -- it's the new Pestermite/Splinter Twin combo...in Standard.
Phyrexian Metamorph
Tezzeret's Gambit -- not a bad little draw spell
Life's Finale -- will be a 2of if MBC becomes an actual deck
Phyrexian Canceller
Sheoldred, Whispering One
Vault Skirge, other small cc artifact creatures like Porcelain Legionnaire in the Tempered Steel deck with Mox Opal and Signal Pest.
Act of Aggression
Moltensteel Dragon -- I really like this guy....
Slag Fiend
Urabrask the Hidden -- I like this guy as well, especially in Valakut.
Volt Charge
Whipflare -- Pyroclasm is going to be taken out of the Core Set?
Birthing Pod -- I want to build a deck with this thing.
Fresh Meat
Glistener Elf
Mutagenic Growth
Noxious Revival
Caged Sun -- I will be trading for this card aggressively, but I don't really want to spend $4 on preorders.
Lashwrithe -- I still want to call this Screamwhip, it just sounds better.
Myr Superion
Spellskite -- this is really interesting to see if this card will see play. It's an 0/4 for 2 that you can swing with, and have a ridiculously powerful effect. Perfect for control decks. Get it back with Sun Titan.
Torpor Orb

Despise
Dismember
Beast Within
Batterskull
Hex Parasite
Sword of War and Peace

This is my list.

Falkor

Back to top Go down

Post  cavanaghlegato Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:50 pm

4-22-2011

1. (NEW!) Sword of War & Peace - I've changed my mind after reading this card over and playing against Shun with it the other night. This card is actually just insane and it's the best card of the set. It gives aggressive decks like Boros a way to speed up their clock on Caw-Blade. 5 land, a Stoneforge Mystic, and 1 spot removal spell on the play against current Caw-Blade builds is a straight win no matter what they play. War & Peace comes down and basically threatens +9/+9 against a deck that refills it's hand so often with Jace & Hawks. Not only that - it swings through those Hawks and Mystics. Before against Caw-Blade you didn't know what to search. Adventuring Gear for a land heavy hand or Bonehoard for the long game. On the other side of the coin, Caw-Blade loves this card because it gives the creature protection from Boros entirely and protection from Hawks & Mystics in the mirror. Again, the +9/+9 against the mirror seems particularly effective.

2. Batterskull - Still good as a 1-of in pretty much every deck that runs Stoneforge Mystic.

3. Despise - Despise > IOK > Duress

4. Dismember - Anti-Kor Firewalker and Baneslayer Angel for red decks is enough to be a 4-of over Perilous Myr

5. (NEW!) Porcelain Legionnaire - I think this card can easily replace Plated Geopede in Boros builds. 2 colorless mana & 2 life we can still play this on turn 2 and it's effectively a Plated Geopede without needing to rely on the Landfall mechanic. You lose some effectiveness by not being able to 5/5 the Geopede, but can make your average draws better than when you were running Geopede. It still fails the Jace test, but it's not replacing Geopede to take away that particular disadvantage.

6. (NEW!) Gitaxian Probe (LSV, Chapin, CFB) - Can't take credit for this one. Essentially, pay 2 life to cycle and check to make sure something is clear. You can use it in the control matchups to see if equipping a sword is going to be safe and against Valakut you can pay 2 life to see if it's ok to tap out with the opponent on 5 mana going for 6 on the next turn.

7. Beast Within - It's a good card, but has easily fallen out of my top 5 after getting the chance to play with it the last few nights. Honestly, I never want to tap out to give them the token. It seems soft to Spell Pierce and most of the times you would want to play it are times when they would have Spell Pierce open. I would go as far as to say this card will be the most played, but most ineffective after a few months. Beast Within is this sets Tezzeret. I think it will come out in a few top 8's, but lack the ability to stay there.

8. (NEW!) Act of Aggression (LSV, Chapin, CFB) - Okay, so 4 new cards and 2 of them coming from the CFB video. Essentially, Elves has a traditionally good matchup against Caw-Blade and a terrible matchup against Valakut for lack of interaction - and now they have interaction.

9. Mental Misstep - Suffers in Standard, but still should be in the top 9 cards of the set.

NEW RANKINGS 4-25-2011 (After playtesting with some of the new cards again)
1. Sword of War & Peace
2. Batterskull
3. Despise
4. Dismember
5. Gitaxian Probe (UP FROM 6)
6. Act of Aggression (UP FROM 7)
7. Beast Within
8. Porcelain Legionnaire (DOWN FROM 5)
9. Mental Misstep
cavanaghlegato
cavanaghlegato
Admin

https://mudbutton.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down